Next Generation Endpoints
NGEPs replaces traditional antivirus with a multi-method prevention approach that secures endpoints against known and unknown malware and exploits before they can compromise a system. They prevent security breaches and successful ransomware attacks, in contrast to detection and response after critical assets have been compromised.
- Prevents cyber breaches and successful ransomware attacks by preemptively blocking known and unknown malware, exploits and zero-day threats.
- Protects and enables users to conduct their daily activities and use web-based technologies without concerns for known or unknown cyberthreats.
- Automates prevention by autonomously reprogramming itself using threat intelligence gained.
Basic features included in the solution offered:
- Pre-execution analysis based on machine learning
- Centralized event collection & analysis (e.g., root cause analysis)
- Exploit prevention or mitigation
- Detection based on behavior analysis
- Ransomware behavior detection and blocking
- Sandbox analysis
- Rollback of changes after detection of an event
- Endpoint isolation in event of a detection or suspicious event
- Retrospective detection (i.e., identifying previously infected machines after a file is identified as malicious)
“Must-haves” for an Endpoint Solution:
- Cloud or on-premises deployment options, across multiple operating systems
Cloud deployment of a next-gen endpoint security solution ensures flexibility, easier management, scalability, and real-time threat intelligence delivery. But sometimes organizations require an on-premises deployment to satisfy stringent privacy requirements dictated by their industry, like in government or finance. Your next-gen endpoint security solution should offer both deployment options.
- Prevention Capabilities
Prevention is your first line of defense. Preventing cyberattacks and blocking malware at point-of-entry in real time is essential. To ensure the best possible prevention, make sure your next-gen endpoint security solution provides the following:
- Global Threat Intelligence – a team of threat hunters detecting the newest threats and uncovering zero-days to keep you protected 24/7
- AV Detection – let your Next-Gen Endpoint Security solution do all the AV heavy lifting and consolidate protection onto one lightweight agent
- Proactive Protection – identify and patch vulnerabilities, and analyze and stop suspicious low-prevalence executables fast
- Integrated Sandboxing Capabilities
Sandboxing is essential for static and dynamic analysis of unknown files. Don’t settle for a third-party sandboxing product that must work alongside your endpoint security solution. Sandboxing should be built-into, and fully integrated with, your next-gen endpoint security solution. Submitting suspicious files to the sandbox should be easy and seamless, and not require multiple management systems.
- Continuous Monitoring and Recording
No prevention method will ever be 100% effective. Advanced malware can get into your endpoints, and if you have no visibility into what files are doing on your endpoints, you’ll be blind to the presence of a potential compromise.
Therefore, your endpoint security solution must watch everything on all of your endpoints (on and off the corporate network) at all times so you can quickly spot malicious intrusions and stop them quickly. It must provide continuous monitoring of all files on every endpoint, regardless of file disposition, and record the activity of those files so you can quickly access the recorded history of those files and quickly scope a compromise from start to finish. This continuous monitoring will provide the ability to spot malicious behavior when it happens and give you visibility into where malware came from, where it’s been, what it’s doing, and how to stop it – before damage can be done.
- Rapid Time to Detection
The industry average to detect a breach after it occurs is 100 days. That’s insane. It’s plenty of time for malware to infiltrate your organization and exfiltrate confidential information. Your endpoint security solution should be able to speed up your time to detection and spot threats in hours or minutes, not days, weeks or months.
- Agentless Detection
Sometimes an organization cannot install an endpoint agent on every single endpoint throughout the enterprise, or they would like visibility into devices that do not have an operating system that can support an endpoint agent. Also, some malware is file-less and might not be visible to an endpoint agent. Therefore, your endpoint security solution should provide agentless detection. Make sure it can uncover file-less or memory-only malware, catch malware before it compromises the OS-level, and get visibility into devices where no agent is installed.
- Easy, streamlined management interface for efficient decision-making
Organizations face a myriad of attacks each day, often more than they can triage efficiently or effectively. Many security teams are simply buried in security alerts each day. They need security solutions that are easy to use and help them make fast and informed decisions.
Look for a next-gen endpoint security solution with an easy-to-use management interface that even a tier 1 analyst can use. Make sure that the interface allows you to quickly assess the health and state of your security deployment at both a macro and micro level. Make sure that the workflow to address a malware intrusion is seamless, intuitive and flexible, allowing you to triage, manage, and respond to possible breaches fast and effectively.
- Simple, Automated Response
Responding to a cyberattack can be difficult and time-consuming. After a breach, many security teams might not have the tools to rapidly respond and remediate. Some reach out to costly third parties to do the work for them.
Your next-gen endpoint security solution should enable you to respond and remediate threats quickly and comprehensively, without the need to engage with an outside vendor. Make sure the solution can accelerate investigations and reduce management complexity by searching across all endpoints for IoC’s and malware artifacts; easily connect the dots on a malware compromise, from start to finish, across all endpoints and the network; and systemically respond to and remediate malware across PCs, Macs, Linux, and mobile devices – automatically or with just a few clicks.
To know more about what solution suits your organizational set up and how NTIPL can assist you please